Sunday, June 11, 2006

Progressions

As we enjoy this full moon Sunday, we are filled with gratitude and love for the emails, letters, support, cards and good wishes from those who know and love Ray. Chemo treatments have ended and we are halfway through the radiation cycle, which seems to be working well.  It has its yin and yangs, as Ray says. 

Above, enjoy our pictures of the progression from fully locked to trimmed and streamlined as a product of our hair-cutting ceremony.  As some would expect, after Noerena cut Ray's locks, his favorite phrase was: "Turnabout is fair play!"  And Ray got busy with the scissors.

The Welcome Revolving Door has friends coming and going, as we spend time laughing, crying, and honoring the amazing journey this warrior is traveling. Talking about the many things of interest to us and very little about the disease which we can do nothing about, except give our prayers and thoughts. This week Abby was in from Florida to inspire us with a re-newed commitment to eat well and walk long!

This week we had the opportunity to attend a performance by Patty Reese (pattyreese.com) at Out of the Way Cafe in Maryland.  Our friend Patty rocked us through the evening and specially dedicated "At Last My Love Has Come Along" for us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

not sure which of you looks cuter w/ the short locks. oh wait, yes I do :) --  mr. whitfield- long or short, you got it goin' on!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Anyway you cut it, Ray looks fine!  Noerena, as well ;-)   Wonder what both of you could do with this unruly mess that passes for my hair?  Keep those shears handy since I hope to make it to Maryland in a couple of weeks.   Love you both, Amber

Anonymous said...

hmmmmm..you are so beautiful to me!!! Love to you both...Laura

Anonymous said...

Ray and Noerena,
Thanks so much for sharing this ceremonyof hair---I'm looking at yoursweet faces in the photos and I have tears of JOY! i could not have done a better job. I need to bring you all on board to do hair (smile). The photos are great. Ray your phots #1 is way too cool. You two are soo progressive, and I love you for it.  Remember, pray and love heals. thats GODs "Merciful Prescription"

Anonymous said...

Noe and Ray,
It is so great to hear from you; I'm so sorry I had no idea Ray had been diagnosed with lung cancer.  I would love to see you both this weekend, and will try to make it, though it may be tough with other commitments already scheduled.  Let's stay in touch, and maybe we can find another time when I could come down and spend time with you guys.  

I love the pictures; you both look fabulous, as always.   I'm sending healing, loving thoughts your way.  I love you both!

Molly

Anonymous said...

To My Abookire Family

Hey folks I think this is an ideal time for me to share my feelings with you; my feelings about you collectively and individually.
To those of you I have met and interacted with, at various family events that cut across sadness and tremendous joy, one thing has been consistent for me.
It is the way I’ve been embraced into your fabulous family, and your home. What a joy.
You need to know that at one time I even asked permission to assume the Abookire name.
(something happened on my way to getting my passport that put a temporary hitch in that thought :>)
Regardless, you are my family and I’m so grateful to each of you who have been part of this incredible adventure.
* The Abookire Inlaw Outlaws
* The moral and spiritual strength that is in the family
* The men and women that the children of Chuck and Sandy, and Sandy and Hal have been able to connect with, who share their singular moral compass. How fortunate we all are.
Ray